Things weren’t looking great for Said Nurmagomedov for a while – but it’s the end result that counts.
At UFC Fight Night 216, Nurmagomedov (17-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) came out on top against Saidyokub Kakhramonov (10-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC), winning their bantamweight preliminary card bout by submission in 3: Round 2 50 marks.
The event took place on Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
The first round was competitive. Nurmagomedov nearly pulled off a guillotine choke in the opening minute, but Kakramonov popped his head out and got on top. For the rest of the round, Kakhramonov largely outgunned Nurmagomedov until the final bell.
In round 2, Kakhramonov shot for the takedown almost immediately. He overpowered Nurmagomedov and backed away. From the side, he repeatedly made a flurry of punches. Nurmagomedov did his best to keep referee Keith Peterson away.
Nurmagomedov got up and Kakramonov fired again. This time, Nurmagomedov provoked him to stick his neck out. Nurmagomedov snatched the neck, rolled up Kakramonov, and got the tap – in impressive comeback fashion.
Guillotine choked out of nowhere 😮 #UFCVegas66 pic.twitter.com/kmD155a5gW
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) December 17, 2022
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 216 results include:
- Nurmagomedov said. Sadyokub Kakhramonov via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:50
- Rafael Garcia def. Maheshate via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Rinat Fakhretdinov def. Brian Battle via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-27)
- Manel Cape def. David Dvorak via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Sergey Morozov def. Journey Newson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)