The death of a 20-year-old student who died just hours after eating a plate of reheated pasta prompts a doctor to issue an important warning.
The young Belgian, known as AJ, decided to eat cooked spaghetti bolognese five days ago, BirminghamLive reports. He then went to play sports with his friends.
But soon he began to have health problems. Thirty minutes after eating her paste, she felt stomach pain, started vomiting, had headaches and diarrhea.
Instead of seeing a doctor, he was sick and preferred to go to bed. It was his parents who, upon being informed that she had not shown up for her classes, discovered AJ dead the next day, Mirror reports.
The autopsy revealed that the young man died during the night, about ten hours after eating his spaghetti. AJ succumbed to liver necrosis and acute pancreatitis.
The sad case of AJ appeared in the Journal of clinical microbiology and who presents himself on YouTube as Dr. Bernard wanted to alert the population.
“Many people eat pasta or other noodles that are a day or two old and that’s fine. But be careful with foods left out for longer periods of time. If the leftovers smell bad, it’s better to be safe than sorry,” says the man who introduces himself as a specialist, according to BirminghamLive. So don’t eat them.
As for AJ, post-mortem analysis of his feces revealed the presence of Bacillus cereus, a pathogen that can contaminate food.
Samples of the remains of their spaghetti sent to the National Reference Laboratory for Foodborne Infections (NRLFO) also revealed the significant presence of Bacillus cereus.