The Washington Post’s Taylor Lorenz became the latest journalist to be banned from Twitter following a wave of suspensions by CEO Elon Musk.
Lorenz said he and another Post technology reporter, Drew Harwell, were researching an article related to Musk. She had tried to communicate with the billionaire during the week but efforts went unanswered, so she tried to contact him on Saturday by posting a message on Twitter tagging Musk and requesting an interview. The specific subject was not disclosed in the tweet.
When she went back on Twitter later Saturday to see if there was a response, Lorenz received a notification that her account had been “permanently suspended.”
“I wouldn’t say I didn’t anticipate it,” Lorenz said Sunday in a phone interview with The Associated Press. She said she was not told any specific reason for the ban.
Twitter last week suspended the social media platform and the accounts of journalists who covered Musk, including those working for The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, Voice of America and other publications. Many of those accounts were restored following an online poll by Musk.
Lorenz said he hoped Musk would explain his suspension: “I’d love to hear from Elon.”
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.